The Wrestler and the Striker

Heya guys! Sorry about the silence, I'm still hobbling around. Not sure exactly what the issue is with my gimp-ass leg. I'm trying to gently re-hab it, after I tried to use it last Thursday on a really low side-kick and succeeded only in making it worse. I caught most of the UFC Fight Night playing Saturday night, and became so rapt with it I ended up staying up til' 2AM watching. I fear this could become a habit. Some good comic fodder in there, though I'm always rooting for the wrong guy, it looks like.

So, I've got a question to submit to readers what got the cajones to discuss its fury. When they're paired up, who are you rooting for? The Wrestler, or the Striker?

I found myself hoping the plucky and technically superior striker would manage to bring down the grappling tank who was chasing him around the cage. Maybe that's just my own dislike of the Brazilian Ju-jitsu, making it difficult for me to ever get behind the grabby folks. But then, the next fight, I was absolutely in awe of some farmboy who obviously grew up greco-roman wrestling, pulling off really fantastic and complex manoeuvres.

Maybe that's what it comes down to. I just want excellence and control, regardless of what you're doing. A striker can look like a martial arts god with a little restraint, but too much fury, and I write him off as a bar-room fratboy slugger.

I'm always impressed with anyone who can weave a good submission and anaconda someone's face off, but I despise the Gracie who runs at his opponent and jumps him like a wet rag and ignores the beating he's receiving because he's too busy applying his arm-bar.

But I'm just an idealist, watching martial artists get beat down by brawlers while softly weeping into a pillow. What do I know? Nuffink! See you on Wednesday with the next comic, which, I assure you, flatters me greatly.

-Rey

2 comments:

Edana said...

Get a free one-week VIP pass to LA Fitness from Mike and sit in the hot tub to make your leg all better!

Reynard said...

Best. Idea. Ever. Even if my leg was fine, this would be the most golden idea ever.