Mm, that New Belt Smell...

Hell yeah! I managed to pass on Saturday! Admittedly, the trash talk about cutting stuff with my feets has very firmly bitten me in the ass. Since I was the only person testing today, instead of a full test, the instructors just ran a regular class while paying a little extra attention to me. Made it a pretty low-pressure situation, but as per usual, that didn't keep me from being way too tense, as I perpetually am. I'm getting pretty used to getting critiqued on that point. I need to start taking horse tranquilizers before tests.

Besides tension, there were a few minor slip ups that my internal monologue was screaming at me for doing while I was in the middle of doing them. I got some good advice on a few problem areas, and a few new modifications to technique canon.

Oh, and then I tried to break my leg.

I got through the first board break no problem: Ridge-hand strike (2 Boards). Then there was a Jump Axe Kick (1 Board), and a Hop-in Side Kick (2 Boards). Never made it to the Hop-in Side.

I didn't have the holders lower the Jump-Axe board down far enough, and so I ended up over extending my leg while tipping forward, which, although it broke the board no problem, also hyper extended my knee, and tore up my hamstring. I think. The thing barely supported me the rest of the day, but I did manage to stretch it out enough that I could make the hop-in side break on Sunday, and recover a little pride. I'm hoping it's a pulled muscle and not something more important being actually torn.

Hey, at least I got the belt. Ordered a new heavier uniform (No more of that scratchy cheap-shit canvas), and I'm already looking forward to my next belt.

-Rey

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ouch!!!!!
no breaking yourself!
...though it does sound like you are having fun doing it!

Reynard said...

Yeah, it was REALLY fun. Always good to see the masters in CT. I actually hung around after class so that Ash could get a mini-class for her more advanced forms, and I got to watch that school's sparring team work out, one of whom is an inhuman killing machine. I saw him deliver wild floating jump spin wheel kicks that would make both Ken AND Ryu weep tears of blood.